Self-Publishing Help & Advice
We Can Help!
Self-publishing a book can be confusing and answers to your questions can be hard to find. We are here to answer those questions and offer our advice to help you make the right choices and avoid the common mistakes that many new (and seasoned) self-publishing authors make. We can walk you through the entire process, step-by-step, and answer any self-publishing questions you may have.
If you have a quick question that will only take a few minutes to answer, give us a call at 770-642-6400. We will be glad to help!
For more in-depth help and advice, we offer self-publishing consulting sessions that can be held over the phone or in person at our Roswell, Georgia office.
Our Ultimate Self-Publishing Package comes with all the services and support you need to self-publish your book.
Some of the types of questions we can answer during a consulting session are listed below. Don't see your question listed? Contact us at 770-642-6400 to see if we can help you with your specific needs.
- What is self-publishing?
- What are the differences between self-publishing, subsidy publishing, and "traditional" publishing?
- What is the right self-publishing method for my book, goals, and budget?
- How do I legally set myself up as a self-publisher? Do I need a business license? How do I pay taxes as a self-publisher?
- What is an ISBN and where do I get one? How many ISBNs do I need? How much do they cost?
- Do I need to register a copyright? How do I register the copyright for my book?
- What is a Library of Congress Control Number or LCCN and how do I get one?
- eBooks: Do I need an eBook? What are my options for creating my eBook? What methods are best? How do I get my book listed on the Kindle, Nook, iPad, and Kobo? At what price should I sell my eBook? Do I need an ISBN for my eBook?
- What are my options for getting my book printed?
- How do I get my book listed for sale on Amazon and BarnesandNoble.com?
- Interior Formatting: What do I need to do to get my book formatted? What fonts should I use? How do I create a PDF? What program should I use to format my book? What size should my book be? When should I hire a professional book formatter?
- Covers: How do I create a cover for my book? Where do I find images to use on the cover? What spine width should I use? What is a "bleed"? Do I need to hire a book cover designer?
- Should I have my book edited? What are the different types of editing?
- How do I market my self-published book?
- At what price should I sell my book?
- How do I calculate how much I will make per book sold?
Your consulting session will be held with Kimberly Martin, the owner and founder of Jera Publishing. She has over eight years of experience in the self-publishing world and has helped numerous authors successfully self-publish their books. She also teaches a series of self-publishing classes at our offices in Roswell, Georgia.
Schedule a Consulting Session
Ready to get started? The first step is to select the number of hours you want to schedule your consulting session below, then check out through our shopping cart. Sessions are $60 per hour. Once your order is processed, we will contact you to schedule your session. Sessions can be scheduled Monday through Friday between 10 am and 4:30 pm, Eastern Time.*
Prefer to pay over the phone? Call us at 770-642-6400.
* After-hours consulting may be available for an additional fee, please contact us.